Wednesday 22 December 2010

Busty Russians & ‘targeting’

Targeting is so important.

We are getting bombarded with thousands of unselected and irrelevant marketing messages every day, and one of those that found me today prompted this entry. I was just surfing the net a few minutes ago when I spotted a top leaderboard advertisement promising ‘Busty Russians’ after the click – no, I was not on an x-rated site at all. But wait, it doesn’t stop there (oh, I must share). The ad went on to say that according to a study  Russian girls are highly attracted to Western men and that ‘Men join for FREE’. (So does that mean women have to pay if they want to join?) Enough criticizing, it’s clearly a low budget ad (everybody has to make a living) that has to get a simple message across. While I think it’s a cheap one, we all know sex sells, so who knows, it could even have a surprisingly high CTR (click through rate) performance.

But then my question is: in today’s age, with all that digital advertising technology, such as IP address, geo, age, and time targeting, just to mention a few, why I got served this particular ad at ~7pm on a Wednesday evening (AEST), I will never understand. As established above, it’s not a branding ad, it has a crystal clear purpose, and a clearer than that target market. Into which (in case you were wondering), no, I do not belong.

Targeting is so important.

The ad that probably sells but wasting its efforts on people outside its target market:

No comments:

Post a Comment