Friday 15 January 2010

Invest in yourself, not others…

I never sat in the front row in school, neither the very last, but always towards the back. In retrospect I realise that I was also one of those lucky ones who got through school and achieved a lot without much effort. So it always amused me, watching from the back, how others in the front ‘tried too hard’ to please the teachers.
Fast forward to today and I still see it daily. Not in the school of course, but at work.

There will always be those who ‘try too hard’ and say or do anything to please their superiors – and in this chain of thought genuine cooperation is excluded. But the problem is, that’s not a ‘currency’.
You can’t exactly put down on your resume how many of your bosses you have pleased.

Your achievements and skills on the other hand, you can. So invest in yourself – not others.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment